Kharis Noah talks influences, legacy and new music

Holy Hip Hop Hype caught up with one of Kaduna Christian Hip Hop's hottest artists, Kharis Noah for an exclusive interview on her musical journey, impact and debut EP, Bolanle
BOLANLE” is a masterfully crafted EP that takes listeners on a transformative voyage of self-discovery and resilience. 

Enjoy! 

HHHH: You've been around for a while now. Tell us about your journey, what and who inspired you to go into music?

Kharis: I've always loved music from Way back, but my love for it has been the driving force for me. Also, I'm inspired hugely by my life in general and all the occurrences happening around me. Music has been my escape and it's been the only thing I fall back to time after time.

HHHH: Wow that's interesting.
Of all genres of music, why hip hop, why not R&B or Afrobeat?

Kharis: I started out rapping in high school putting rhymes together. I enjoyed Rap music a lot and I always wanted to write my own lines and rap my verses. 
My friends In school then would meet me to write lines for them for online rap battles and then the Journey began. 

HHHH: Hmmm that's remarkable. So it's safe to say you were a rap prodigy?

Kharis: If you put it like that, Yes. 

HHHH: Some people regard Hip-Hop as a boys' thing, so they see female rappers as deviants, or ladies who aren't effeminate. How would you address this stereotype?

Kharis: Well, I understand why people have this stereotype for ladies in Hip hop. But I'll like to say Hip hop is a culture, It's much more than rap music or Writing verses
It's more of a lifestyle and it isn't a boys' thing as most people will have it to be. 

I'm living proof that it isn't, with so many more Femcees out there doing very well in hip hop I'm glad we are changing the narrative.

HHHH: That's true. 
Describe the process of making your new body of work, Bolanle. were the tracks just random songs you recorded and decided to string together or you wrote and recorded the tracks specifically?

Kharis: Well making Bolanle was a long process It was initially an Album with over 13 tracks. Been working on it since 2020
I kept recording, tweaking and writing, I wrote all songs with the intention of making an album. They weren't random song collections. 

After some deliberations, I and my management decided to make it An EP instead and then went on to select the 6 that made it out.

HHHH: Wow, you're a perfectionist aren't you?

Kharis: Something like that (smiles) 😅

HHHH: What’s your favourite track off the EP?

Kharis: This is hard to say. All songs are very dear and personal to me, honestly, I have an issue selecting a Favourite. But I'll go with DWYD because of the meaning and what its message means to me.

HHHH: So far what has your fans' feedback been like?

Kharis: Feedback has been great. I'm really amazed by the support and feedback from people, It's been overwhelming actually It feels really good to know that people could relate to the project too. I feel blessed for the progress so far.

HHHH: Wow that's good news. It's not surprising though because such finessed body of work deserves to be heard and appreciated.

Kharis: Truly, thank you.

HHHH: If you are given the opportunity to make music with two artists, one from Nigeria and the other from any part of the world, who will it be and why?

Kharis Noah: Jackie Hill (laughs)😅
Jackie because I'm such a fan and I truly look up to her, been like this for years.
When I started officially I listened to a lot of Jackie Hill Perry and that did shape my music at first plus I really look forward to meeting her someday you know.

As for Nigeria, I'm such An Oba Reengy fan (laughs) 🤣
I genuinely love his music and I've also been a fan for a long time too from the rapping Oba Reengy and I'm looking forward to making music with him soon.
Very soon I must say, as that is definitely in the works.

HHHH: Those are amazing artists. Jackie is an all-around inspiration, from music, family and faith. 

As for Oba Reengy, you mentioned the rapping Oba (giggles) 🤣
Dude's switched sound now. Are we going to see you follow that route too?

Kharis: I think my EP is enough sign. Recently I've been exploring new sounds and genres. Rapping Kharis will be hard to get rid of this I must say But I'm giving every aspect of my creativity a chance to express itself. I want to explore more sounds as much as I can. 

This is a personal Dare to myself, I'm putting myself through rigorous creative process to create music that I'd never believe will come from me and I'm loving the process with Kharis expect the unexpected. That's what I'll say. 

HHHH: That's wonderful. Can't wait to see and hear more of you.

Kharis: Thank you.

HHHH: With that said, what should we expect from Kharis in 2023?

Kharis: Expect more beautiful music
I'd be putting out a couple of singles and another project later this year.
The rest of the year is loaded. Stay ready for me also some good collaborations are in the works. It only gets better.

HHHH: Wow beautiful!!!
Finally, Kharis recently I had the opportunity to talk to a female artist and she mentioned you as one of her influences, how do you feel about such news?

Kharis: Blessed, honoured and Humbled.
This is why we do it, to leave an impact that outlives us ourselves. That even when we are long gone, if our name is mentioned or my music starts to play people will say all the positive impact my life and music has had on them and the music space entirely.

I Trust God for strength to be able to do more I want to inspire more girls, ladies and women to live out their dreams, to be fearless and live up to their full potential
I want people to see me and say because of you I did not give up on my dreams.
Also, I want every female out there to know that you can be anything you want to be
There's no limit to how far God is going to take you. Just do it.

HHHH: Thanks fam.
The self-titled EP Bolanle is Kharis' native name, which holds a profound significance symbolizing her quest to rediscover her identity and derive empowerment from embracing her authentic self.

Enough said, you will surely be enthralled by this wonderful work of art. 


You can connect with Kharis Noah on all social media platforms at - @Kharis_Noah 

Comments