Phreeda Gee Speaks on Stereotype, Ministry and Tribute to Dad

Amidst a sea of vague content, gender bias, and unoriginal artistry, Phreeda Gee shines as a remarkable presence. Phreedah G is a multifaceted individual, encompassing roles as a published author, rapper, entrepreneur, and more. 

In an interview with HHHH editorial, the rapidly emerging Christian artist engages in a conversation. Enjoy the read.

HHHH: Tell us your story. What first got you into music?

Phreeda Gee: A friend Nemzzy was the motivation that geared me into doing music. He just believed I had what it takes to rap. He would bring different rap videos for me to watch with his laptop, send me beats to just try out and on my birthday in 100 level, he took me to a music studio. That was my first time of seeing a music studio and he wouldn't allow me to rest until I picked interest and the rest is history.

HHHH: Wow that's interesting

What is it like being a female in a male-dominated music genre?

Phreeda Gee: It's been a hurdle as you have the most populace as males. It takes extra effort finances and connections to be visible in their midst, but also it's been a journey of learning, relearning connecting with great people of like minds.

HHHH: Some people regard Hop Hop as a boys' thing. They see female rappers as tomboys, as in ladies who aren't effeminate. How would you address this stereotype?

Phreeda Gee: In the beginning, we believed the hip-hop culture dressing thing but with time I realized that you don't have to be all baggy to be heard. If you've got content, from what you spitting people know. Later on, I realized that it is not the dressing that makes you hip-hop but what you are serving. You can still dress cool, look feminine in your fitted Jeans and top and still rap good. I'll say you instead that way you don't have to dress otherwise just because of a culture's perception.

HHHH: We interviewed a young female rapper recently and she mentioned your name. According to her, you are one of the people who influenced and inspired her to go into music. How do you feel hearing this?

Phreeda Gee: It was great hearing it, at least the importance of not giving up something you started.

HHHH: What's your proudest moment since you started this journey?

Phreeda Gee: This was when I won a music competition with Zamantare N.G.O and was paid a grant amount for it and my picture at one of the performances to feature for their European magazine to celebrate International Peace Day Europe.

HHHH: We understand that you are into teens ministry, can you elucidate on that?

Phreeda Gee: The truth is, the teenage age is a very sensitive stage and a formation stage for adulthood. If the foundation is faulty then it takes a toll on us That's why we must do all we can to educate these digital teens on the importance of God amidst socio-economic changes and systems that try to kick God out of the equation and make them realize what is needed and what is mundane so that we can have hope for our unborn kids, knowing that mantles would be passed and not otherwise.

HHHH: Can't agree less with you on this. More blessings and unction to continue this noble cause fam.

Phreeda Gee: Amen

HHHH: You are also a published writer, Do you mind shedding light on it and what inspired you to write?

Phreeda Gee: I have been a lover of writing for a long, it started in secondary school when I wrote an article on "greatness" and our commandant E. I. Odok loved it and asked it be published in the school's magazine that year. I have been writing and had written a book after Secondary which was proofread by Rev. Barnabas Arastus as I was about to get into 100 level, but then I had to put it aside to focus on my academics. I continued writing and jotting key points from books I read and from there the passion re-ignited again.

HHHH: What legacy would you like to leave on this generation?

Phreeda Gee: A legacy of impact, Kingdom impact and standing up for the truth especially of God's word so there is no ridicule of the written script within your ambience.

HHHH: You lost your dad, recently. So sorry for your loss. May his soul rest in peace. Would you like to pay tribute to him?

Phreeda Gee: Yes of course. I'm glad we gave him his flowers while alive and each time I remember him in my prayers. I say it out loud that "My dad is a good man".
To a man committed to family and righteousness, who wants things to be done rightly and in order. To a father who lavished care and pampered us to stupor until Mumcy intervened. To a father of deep trust, who for the past 6 years or more his ATM was never been in his hands but with my mum, he trusted she would deliver and take care of everyone including his personal needs.

To a father who gave his all for us.
I can only keep thanking God for you even after your death, each time I remember you or a memory pops up. I'm grateful for your life and for believing in Jesus and taking Holy Communion with us.
You are forever loved. I will miss you and I'll make you proud through Christ Jesus that strengthens. Love you. Mr. Salisu Giwa. From daughter.

HHHH: Aww this is touching. I pray that God continues to bless and comfort your family.

Phreeda Gee: Amen

HHHH: Any words for the  younger ones who are looking to go into the creative Industry?

Phreeda Gee: Pursue your Education along. Don't neglect education as you pursue the creative space because the going can get tough. You will need an added advantage and it is an added advantage when you blow up to become a celebrity.
Seek God and hold him tightly. You must not engage in dubious acts just to make it.

HHHH: Finally, what should your fans expect from you soon?

Phreeda Gee: I will be acting in regard to the script written for me. Don't get perplexed when I now preach the Word and not rap and don't get perplexed when we do both or find us in the mission field because God is the Potter we are just the clay, we can't tell him how we want it. Expect more musical sounds and rap snippets on my social media handles.

HHHH: Thank you for granting us this interview ma'am. God bless and increase you richly.

Phreeda Gee: Amen


Comments